A good life is when you smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have... <3

Thursday, August 9, 2012

What is happiness?

I've been thinking a lot about happiness today.

What is happiness?

To some people, happiness is a new pair of shoes or a new outfit. Others it's being successful in a career they love. Happiness seems to spread across such a broad range that I think many of us sometimes struggle in finding true happiness. I feel like in our world today, there are so many things that make us unhappy that it's sometimes hard to be completely happy. We lose people in our lives, we fail, sometimes we get made fun of or excluded, we get knocked down. How can you be happy when things like that happen?

One of my favorite quotes is:



I think the reason so many people are so unhappy is because they think that before they can be happy, everything has to be perfect. It's like our brains are programed to think "When I have the best of everything and everything goes perfect, then i'll be happy." This is wrong! Nothing is ever going to be perfect. It's a fact of life. We need to find happiness in every day. In the little things.

In high school, I had a hard time with this. I always felt like happiness came from things around me. Friends, boys, clothes, things like that. I felt like if things didn't go exactly right, then I couldn't be happy and i'd be so upset about it. If things weren't perfect, I wasn't completely happy. In my life, I've come to find that happiness is something you get form yourself. Everything else just enhances that happiness that you have already.

I can honestly say I am truly happy with my life. I have learned to accept myself exactly the way I am. And to be completely honest, I'm happy with who I am. I don't have everything I want.  But I have what I need and i'm perfectly happy with that. There's things about my life that I would like to be different, but you have to accept those things. I have an amazing family, I have found incredible friends who accept me and love me for who I am, i've found things in my life that i'm truly passionate about. Yes, things go wrong. Things don't always work out like I want and I don't always get what I want. But you can't let the setbacks hinder your happiness.

Happiness is a choice. Why not choose to be happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment